Desktop Publishing Tools (DTP) are more of a necessity than a luxury in the translation industry. Each language is different in some way and consists of its structure. The space needed to fit a particular text into a legal or a normal document may differ based on the language. Even normal and straightforward changes may need modifying the size of a picture or a text to fit in the translated document. In addition, some typefaces can’t support some or all of the characters in use in different languages.
Translation agencies must be able to work with various kinds of projects. Here’s a look at some of the examples that require DTP after translation:
4. Technical manuals
5. PDF files
6. Marketing materials
7. Manuscript and e-learning materials
Desktop publishing tools or software combine the process of assembling text and graphic images (pictures, graphs, illustrations, photographs, etc.) electronically on a computer screen to achieve high-quality and professional-looking publications such as flyers, brochures, newsletters, business forms, books and magazines and more.
There are a total of six steps in the desktop publishing process:
1. Planning the publication – Publication is a file created in the DTP Program.
2. Creating the preliminary page designs
3. Manifesting the text
4. Preparing the necessary artwork and graphics
5. Decide the page layout
6. Printing the publication
The publication process is completed in the first six steps, and step 7 is to reproduce and replicate the publication.
• They can Typically Work In Any File And Format: This can be an outstanding advantage when you have only a .pdf file to submit, and it can quite easily recreate your file. A professional translation or localization company like White Globe Solutions is exceptionally well versed in providing multilingual desktop publishing services. Their daily operations include laying out documents with the help of multiple software and file formats in various languages and scripts. Languages such as Chinese, Japanese and Korean are pretty tricky. They require specific versions of even standard publishing software installed on the native platforms to generate localized documents for the target users. A language service provider confident in its abilities will not be intimidated by this challenge and will continue delivering high-quality scripts and files.
• They are Particularly Helpful For Complex Languages: Language service providers are experts in working and translating foreign language text. However, many projects involve complicated translation characters or languages that expand or contract. Much of it depends on the primary and target languages, which might force the text size to expand or contract. For example, documents translated from German or Russian can consist of words that are dozens of characters long, requiring re-sizing graphics, positioning menu items etc. Similarly, writing Arabic and Farsi requires changing the layout order because they are written right to left. DTP tools help to modify the layout or design to accommodate these changes and differences in size and display direction.
• DTP Helps In Making Desktop Publishing Recommendations: Translation of documents from one language to another will substantially impact the graphical layout and positioning of publications in the papers. DTP, in such cases, is of enormous advantage as it has specific knowledge regarding the target language and the audience your project is trying to reach and attract. Many countries have their standards regarding the project and its message. A professional language service provider has an instinctive feel for the local language and your desired target audience and often makes recommendations for the best layout, design, and message of your translated document to communicate with your target audience. They might also recommend choosing different layouts than the original one or selecting colours and symbols to help attract and communicate your message to your audience.
• Desktop Publishing Can Critically Impact Your Project: The DTP can have a significant impact on your project. Many people think a good translator is more than enough while creating projects in translated languages. However, this is not true. Improper desktop publishing, layout, images which might be inappropriate to your desired audience and typographical errors will result in a poor impression of your company, eventually resulting in your project getting rejected. You might even face potential lawsuits and defamatory claims. This is why a professional translation service provider is vital because they have the experience with formatting for regulatory compliance, cultural adaptation and much more.
• Language Service Providers Are Language Experts: You may have a graphic designing team which may not feel comfortable sharing the project with a language translation service provider. But the critical thing to remember is that the designers are not qualified or educated enough to work in other languages. There is a high probability of them making mistakes or confusing the target audience in the final layout because of not conveying the message correctly. Language service providers are so critical because they have top linguists and translators working in their team who conduct final language checks of the project to ensure that everything is accurate while desktop publishing.
• DTP By A Professional Translation Service Company Saves Time, Money, Efforts And Resources: Translation service providers mainly have international teams who can work around the clock to meet your rushed deadlines. It is essential to meet deadlines and submit a good project with no mistakes in this industry. DTP not only saves time for the company but also ensures you don’t end up paying extra money and resources in the long run by submitting an error-free report prefered by your target audience.
Some of the top desktop publishing software include:
1. Microsoft Publisher: Suppose you are a frequent user of Microsoft products. In that case, Publisher is worth adding to your options to avoid conflict between programs. Publisher offers a great selection of templates and typography tools and is a competent option. It has been around for almost 20 years and continues to make it on the list of top DTP tools.
2. Adobe InDesign: If you have worked in the translation industry for a while, sooner or later, you are bound to have crossed your paths with InDesign. This software is a little expensive, but it is worth every penny and is consistently the top choice for DTP professionals. The page layout feature of InDesign makes combining graphics and text super simple. The checklist option also lets you tick off things you have completed.
3. QuarkXPress: QuarkXPress offers excellent features like a long document tool which is beneficial for translators who want to work smart and fast and are already dealing with multiple projects in different languages.
White Globe is a global provider of DTP services with 20 offices in 15 countries. White Globe helps software industries in over 350 languages to drive global success. Our fast and professional DTP services enable the content to engage with international audiences across linguistic barriers fluently. We have already worked with top brands and provided them with excellent DTP services. White Globe provides superlative quality DTP services at the fastest turnaround time and lower prices.
Ans: Desktop Publishing (DTP) is an integral part of the systematic process and additional oversight. Typically, it is one of the final phases of a translation or localization project, and DTP mainly redesigns a translated document using the page layout software. Translating or localizing does not necessarily have to end with the rendering of one language to another.
The Features of Desktop Publishing Apps are as follows:
It provides support for multiple different project types.
Layout, Text and Graphic Tools.
Printing and Sharing.
Ans: DTP services are often used to create impressive digital media like web pages, legal or formal information sheets, brochures etc. Flyers, handouts, brochures, and other hard-copy materials can also be formatted for printing using the DTP software, design and layout tools.
Copyright ©2024 WHITE GLOBE GROUP PVT LTD