Most of the eLearning content is available in English, but English is not the native language of approximately 71% of the internet users. It is necessary to make eLearning content in local languages to be understandable to learners. The process of transforming the eLearning content into the local language and culture of the learners is known as eLearning localization. This involves the translation of the eLearning content and appropriation of it as per learners’ cultural background. The localization will make the eLearning content more relatable. The eLearning localization is not limited to text translation but considers localizing images, videos, audios, font size, and font colors.
Need for eLearning localization
The eLearning localization is needed because 90% of learners want to learn in their native language. The localization of eLearning content removes cultural disparities.
How to achieve effective eLearning localization
Effective eLearning localization is a complex process that completes in multiple steps.
- Understand the target audience: The first step of the localization process is understanding the target audience. In-depth research should be conducted to understand the target audience’s language, dialect, accepted tone, spelling, date and time, currencies and cultural preferences. Fainting in understanding the target audiences’ requirements, you will fail in delivering efficient eLearning localization.
- Focus on design and language: Videos, images and graphics are equally important as the text for localization, so the focus should be on design and language. Colors, gestures, and pictures have different meanings in different geographies. Something adorable in one culture is hated most in another. For example, a thumps graphic encourages the audience in the US, and the same graphic is considered a great offense in Iran. Before starting eLearning localization, these nuances should be kept in mind. Apart from this, the font and style currently prevalent in the market should be used. Translation of the text from one language to another should be done with great precision and efficiency to avoid discrepancies. Choose the most suitable language for translation. A language is suitable when a large chunk speaks it of the population.
- Voice localization: Some modules, scripts, slideware, and videos contains voiceover narration. A local professional voiceover artist should be employed to provide the voiceover in the native language of the learner.
- Design localization-friendly modules: To streamline the localization process, it is important to design localization-friendly modules. The design modules consist of customizable media, natural images, extraction of texts from images, compatibility of text, and images with the target language. The use of editable source files helps in the localization of text and multimedia. Text and font compatibility testing according to the target audience is also an important step. The use of too many idioms should be avoided to ensure proper localization.
- Built a localization kit: As a professional localization provider, every company should have to build a localization kit. A localization kit should consist of a glossary of technical words, phrases, synonyms, tone of voice, grammar conventions, the structure of the website, text presentation design and many more.
Importance of eLearning content in local language
- Quick and efficient understanding: We learn our native language before speaking. So comprehending in the native language comes naturally. Properly localized eLearning content is easy to understand, and the learner quickly absorbs it.
- Gaining the best practical knowledge: Certain courses contain practical information which can be better understood in the native language. Explanation of knowledge piece in local language ensures proper delivery of the message.
- Higher knowledge retention: People think of a well-known phenomenon in their native language. When a person is reading a piece of information in a foreign language, they first comprehend it in the foreign language, then translate it into their native language, and then finally, the information is stored in their brain. This is tedious, and researchers suggest foreign language reduces the vividness of imagery in the human brain. This leads to a reduction in the effectiveness of knowledge retention in the brain. Contrary to that, learning the native language helps the learner grasp the information effectively and store it in the brain.
- Eliminates cultural disparity: Localization of eLearning content effectively handles cultural and geographical differences. Different colors and gestures are considered differently in different countries. eLearning localization considers all the cultural differences and eliminates cultural disparity.
- Cost-effectiveness: It is cost-effective to localize eLearning content than making eLearning content in each language separately.
Tools for eLearning localization:
- Articulate Storyline: An articulate storyline is an easy-to-use tool that helps translation and localization with ease.
- Lectora: Lectora is equipped with translation and publishing in multiple languages.
- Adobe Captivate 2019: This is an authoring tool, and it is also equipped with the localization feature.
- Camtasia: It is a video editing tool with video editing and impressive localization support.
- Adapt: The adapter is also an authoring tool with limited translation features. It is popular because it is free.
The white Globe as an eLearning localization service provider
White Globe is one of the best eLearning localization service providers in Asia.
White Globe is Asia’s best translation and localization service provider company. White Globe provides linguistically accurate and learner-centric eLearning content localization that helps eLearning companies engage international audiences.
We have the linguistic resources and industry-leading technologies to deliver the best eLearning localization services. Our services are cost-efficient, high quality, and quick.
Q.1 What is usually localized in eLearning localization?
Ans: In the eLearning localization, written content, graphic, navigation buttons, video, audio, and formatting are localized.
Q.2 What should you know before starting eLearning localization?
Ans: One should know the target audience, goal of localization, cultural nuances, involved technical aspects, and cost.
Q. 3 What are the uses of eLearning localization?Ans: The eLearning localization is used for employee training, compliance training, customer training, and teaching to school and university training.