Document translation is the process of converting text from one language to another. The native language and culture of the target customers are considered when translating the contents and documents using advanced tools and technology.
Process of document translation:
Various companies in India provide document translation services. The comfort of reading your native language is provided to the readers or users for adequate understanding by any person across the globe. Language translation services help in the enhancement of business and benefit the customers at the same time through enhanced communication. The process of document translation completes in the following steps:
- Submission of documents: The documents to be translated are submitted to the translators to assess the contents. The clients who require certified translation services are referred to expert translators with official certification credentials.
- Translation: The submitted documents are translated into the native language of the target customers by considering their culture and other specifications.
- Proofreading and editing: After the completion of translation, the documents undergo proofreading and editing to check if the right words, tone, and slang are used throughout the document.
Major challenges occur while translating a document
Translation of text is a complex process and several challenges translators face while translating. The top 10 major translation problems are as follows:
- Language structure: The sentence structure in English and other languages is different. This is one of the most important problems faced by translators. A simple sentence structure in English is subject, verb, and object. Contrary to this, the sentence structure in Farsi is subject, object and verb. In Arabic, subject and pronouns are part of the verb. To address this problem, translators must add or remove words to translate them into another language.
- Idioms and expressions: Idioms and expressions are peculiar phrases, and the literal definitions of words cannot predict their meaning. Idioms are even considered a routine problem in machine translation. Linguistic experts advise not to use more idioms or localize them, keeping cultural nuances in mind.
- Compound words: Two or more words combine to form a compound word, and the meaning of a compound word may be completely different from its component words. Compound words are three different types.
- Compound words with the exact meaning of components words: Examples of such words are “Airport”, “Crosswalk”, and “Seashore”.
- Compound words with the half meaning of components words: An example of such a word is “Bookworm”. A person who loves to dive deep into books but is not an invertebrate.
- Compound words with a completely different meaning of component words: An example of such a word is “Deadline”, which refers to the final acceptable date and time to deliver something. It has nothing to do with death or line.
- Unavailability of exact match of a word: A language may not have an exact word for a certain action, or a word exists in different languages. Sometimes the meaning of a single word in a particular language is in 2 or three words in another. For example, “guest room” means “ksnona” in Greek and “camera per gliospiti” in the Italian language.
- Two-word verb: When verb and preposition are used together, they form a two-word verb, giving a completely different meaning. The English language has many two-word verbs. For example “Look up”, “close up”, “fill out”, “shut up”, etc. In such cases, translators should not translate the preposition separately.
- Multiple meanings of a different word: There is some word that has various meanings, and other meanings are considered in different situation and their uses in a sentence. Some homonyms also look and sound alike, but their meaning is different. For example, Scale the fish before putting it on the scale to weigh. There are heteronyms also. Heteronyms are words that look alike, but their pronunciation and meanings differ.
- Sarcastic expressions: The sarcastic expressions are sharp or bitter, which means exactly the opposite of what is being said. Word-to-word translation of sarcastic expressions in another language may lose meaning and cause learners to misunderstand. It is advisable to remove sarcasm before the final publication and prevent misunderstandings.
- Lack of technical knowledge: Content related to science, engineering, technology, medicine, and mathematics is highly technical. It is almost impossible for a translator to know technical terms. At the same time, you will not find translators who are subject matter experts in these fields like scientists, doctors, engineers and technologists. Translators specialize in a certain niche, but sometimes it is not enough to translate the technical content. Some documents that describe a scientific process or the mechanism behind certain technology are full of technical words and it is problematic to translate such documents.
- Time: Translation of simple and straightforward documents is easy, and it is possible to meet deadlines, but translating technical documents is challenging and time-consuming. Sometimes this can be stressful for the translator to meet deadlines and provide quality translation per the client’s expectations.
- Quality and expenditure: Sometimes, some clients want a high-quality translation but do not have a sufficient budget. Translation of technical documents requires excellent skills and a longer time duration. Mistakes cannot be entertained in a technical document; otherwise, they would lead to equipment damage and may harm the user. Poor understanding of the evaluation of the quality of work and expenses required to achieve that is the major challenge for translation.
White globe is one of the best translation service provider companies in Asia. We have a large team of linguistic experts with technical knowledge, cultural nuances, and grammar rules of source and target languages. We have used technologies like AI powers translation systems such as computer-assisted translation (CAT) and terminology management systems (TMS). Our sizable team ensures the timely delivery of all types of translation projects. Our services are cost-efficient and high-quality. We have experience working with global brands. To overcome the challenges mentioned earlier, come to White Globe.